Saturday, September 08, 2007

cbefm

i've learned what this means... clear blue easy fertility monitor. that's what i'm using. it's sort of like a video game with hormones! yay! your goal is to ovulate! but in order to do so, you must have plenty of estrogen and plenty of luteinizing hormone. and in order to win the game you also have to have a lot of sex! let's hope his boys are healthy, mobile, and plentiful! 'cause if they're not, "game over" and you have to start from scratch next month.

so far, i've made it past my "peak"... i think. see, i've had times where my luteinizing hormone stays elevated for daayyss. i don't know what that means, but it makes me wonder if my brilliantly expensive cbefm knows what it's doing. i sure hope so since mil and i have been bd'ing like jackrabbits. i haven't had a real temp spike though, so who knows...

i'm also trying to visualize a fertile uterus (and fertile ovaries, fallopian tubes, and eggies). i figure you can't put too many "eggs" in one basket. next month i might take to lighting candles and chanting to the goddess.

in terms of introducing western medicine into our bedroom, i've still got cold feet. i'm hesitant to ask mil to run off to some clinic to shoot his wad before med school class. he's so busy and so stressed, i don't want to add to it... it's bad enough that i'm begging him for bd every time i see him. i'm also cheap and semen analysis is kind of pricy -- though nothing compared to all the other stuff i will have to do. i've yet to call our health insurance company to find out what if anything they cover for various fertility-related tests. i'm afraid it will shock me into another year of trying the natural way.

anyone been this way before? advice would be wonderful...

3 comments:

Polka Dot said...

I don't have any advice on natural conception since my original gyne verified that my pcos would make it next to impossible. I was just 21 at the time and had been through every possible bcp to regulate hormones and periods. I haven't touched the stuff since.

I do, however, have plenty of insurance information if you should ever decide to head in that direction. There are ways around things, but you'll need some sort of diagnosis first. So when you're ready, lemme know : )

In the meantime - I did give clomid a try and that required timed intercourse.

This is what I learned:

Have his sperm tested asap. Why? Because if there's a sperm issue, you're immediately off the regular intercourse roller coaster. It can save lots of time, money, and heartache. Don't worry about the cup - most doctors give the guys *ahem* material and they're outta there in like 10 minutes.

The window for conception is 24 hours (it's amazing anyone gets preggers with that timeframe) each month. The REs I've had always had us BD for just 3 days around the appointed time. More than that and you're into extra carricular activities. And sore.

Lingerie, candles, music, a yummy dinner all help keep the mood. A bath together, too. But do it at random non-baby times of the month in addition to baby dancing nights to keep away the performance anxiety. Keep him guessing on the reason and there's a lot less stress. And lots more fun.

Katie said...

First time here and I just want to say that I LOVED your rollercoaster analogy!

I echo everything said above. Do it and do it now (sperm analysis). It is easier than anything that you're going to have to go through test-wise, covered by most insurance companies, and quick results. If he is all clear, then you are on deck.

I also have ducked and dodged my way through the insurance game, so I have some tricks up my sleeve as well. It's all a matter of how things are coded and you can usually get your doc's office to work with you on that.

A'Dell said...

I too bought a CBEFM before I was ready to call a Doc and I found that it helped validate me a bit. I got peak days and high days and that made me feel like there wasn't anything wrong with us, we just had bad timing and this thing would fix it!

Well, several months after that purchase it was clear that was not the case. There are lots of women out there though that love their CBEFMs and I really hope that you're one of them!

If you feel yourself starting to wonder and be affected by the month-to-month suspense, go get the basic testing done for at least peace of mind. For me (a super control freak), it helped me manage my expectations a lot better. :)

Go CBEFM, go!!